Joined: 11 Jul 2010
|Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:58 pm Post subject: The Essex Way Relay 2015 - Sunday 6th September
|Essex Way Relay - Sunday 6th September 2015
The EWR is a trail race that covers the 82 miles of the Essex Way Footpath, from it's start in Epping to the end at the lighthouse in Harwich.
The course is broken down into 10 stages which begin at set times throughout out the day.
The course is not marked but each runner follows a written route description for his or her chosen section.
Points are given for your finishing position i.e. 1st=1 2nd=2 etc and at the end of the day all the team points are added up for each section and the team with the lowest points wins.
We can enter as many teams as we want in three categories; Mens, Ladies & Mixed.
So who fancies it?
Below is a list of the 10 sections with distances and start times …
STAGE 1 EPPING - CHIPPING ONGAR 7.5 miles 8am
STAGE 2 CHIPPING ONGAR - GOOD EASTER 9.5 miles 9am
STAGE 3 GOOD EASTER - LITTLE LEIGHS 9.5 miles 10.15am
STAGE 4 LITTLE LEIGHS - CRESSING 10.1 miles 11.30am
STAGE 5 CRESSING - GREAT TEY 9.4 miles 12.45pm
STAGE 6 GREAT TEY - WEST BERGHOLT 5.7 miles 2pm
STAGE 7 WEST BERGHOLT - DEDHAM 11.2 miles 2.40pm
STAGE 8 DEDHAM - BRADFIELD 8.0 miles 4.15pm
STAGE 9 BRADFIELD - RAMSAY 5.3 miles 5.15pm
STAGE 10 RAMSAY - HARWICH LIGHTHOUSE 5.5 miles 6pm
Things you should know!
1. The route is by written description. Copies of the route descriptions and maps are available from the EWR website (link below). Please look at one of these! They're quite daunting at first look but are easy to follow once you get in the swing of it.
2. The descriptions are good enough to follow at first look but it's highly recommended that you have a practice before race day especially if you're not used to running and reading directions.
3. Each leg finished in a different place to the start. It's an A to B not a loop. It's the runners responsibility to get himself/herself to the start on time and to make their own way back from the finish. The easiest way to do this is to have either someone drop you at the start and meet you at the finish or if we end up with two or more teams then arrange with other team members to drop a car at the finish before travelling back to the start.
4. You DO NOT have to wait til your previous team member completes their section. Your section will start at it's set time regardless. There's no baton to pass on or anything. It's like 10 separate races over the course of the day.
5. You DO NOT have to go to the finish at Harwich. you can do your leg then go home … altho you will miss the lovely chips and a pint at the prize giving!
6. It's completely free to enter!
Please take a look at the EWR website for full details and those all important route descriptions @ http://www.essexway.org.uk and then let me know a. if you fancy taking part and b. your preferred section. Obviously we can't all run the same sections so we may have to negotiate sections dependant on the response
Please email me at: email@example.com if you would like to take part or have any question re the event.
It really is a fantastic event, extremely popular across the county and great to be a part of … C'mon Essex let's Ave it!!